Gateshead-headquartered Lucion Services, an international leader in environmental risk management services showcases first joint ESG initiative with the newly acquired Delta-Simons Environmental Ltd with ‘Plant a Tree’ scheme and a short video to celebrate World Environment Day 2021.
Following the acquisition of Delta-Simons by Lucion Services, the two companies have been aligning resources and positioning business strategies not only to better serve our clients but also to enhance our commitment to the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) agenda.
The Delta-Simons mission is ‘Excellence in our Environment’ and Lucion’s is ‘To make the world a safer place to live’, and now as a group, the two companies are rallying in partnership to increase the impact we can make through our commitment to the environment.
To mark the occasion of World Environment Day 2021 on 5th June, and as a simple gesture of thanks to all 500 employees now part of the new group, Lucion Services and Delta-Simons are planting 500 trees at the Lowther Estate in the Lake District National Park.
Originally grazing land, Lowther Estate have decided to re-aggregate these fields with a mixture of small woodland copses interspersed with flower-rich meadows. The resulting habitat will be suitable for a wide variety of biodiversity including farmland, grassland and woodland species.
The trees will not only capture CO2 but the project will also help to improve the overall connectivity of woodland habitats within the region, as well as enhancing the landscape for locals and the many tourists who visit the Estate each year.
Watch our short video to mark World Environment Day and how we are working together to Reimagine, Recreate and Restore the environment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Etb2fYS7U
Lucion Services CEO Phil Rozier commented on the initiative:
“Any CEO in today's world, to tackle the real-world issue surrounding climate change, has a duty to ensure that not only are businesses not being unnecessarily damaging but they also need to help make amends to historical poor practices. Business leaders have the gift of influencing a greater positive impact, a gift that shouldn't be wasted.”
Lucion’s Chief People Officer Sarah Taylor leads the company’s ESG activities and is keen for all employees to get actively involved. Whilst Lucion’s core service offerings are in the management of hazards in the built environment, we remain continually aware that our business activities can have an impact on the natural environment and is therefore committed to reducing it by introducing various sustainable initiatives across the business:
● Lightfoot in-vehicle driver efficiency technology and rewards platform to our fleet of 197 vans which monitors and feedback to the driver their driving style to reduce harsh acceleration, improve fuel economy and overall driving standards.
● Carbon Offsetting Shell fuel cards whereby every litre of fuel purchased is carbon offset through Shell’s global portfolio of nature-based projects.
● Cycle to Work scheme as well as encouraging staff to use public transport.
● Increased Sustainable Car Allowance levels for those eligible and owners of a hybrid or electric vehicle.
● Office buildings equipped with environmentally friendly air source heat pumps and solar photovoltaic cells powered through clean energy sources.
As a result of these initiatives and many more in the pipeline, the company is driving efficiency and stopping tonnes of CO2 from entering the earth’s atmosphere.
Commenting on the tree planting commitment by Lucion and Delta-Simons, Sarah said:
“The Lucion Group is proud to support the rewilding initiative at the Lowther Estate, making a positive investment in our environment in a sustainable and ethical way."
Delta-Simons’ Director Roger Griffiths added:
“The planting of trees in accordance with the Woodland Carbon Code is a fantastic way to demonstrate a long term commitment to the mitigation of climate change. In addition to the carbon sequestration it provides, it also creates an enhanced natural habitat which can be enjoyed by all at such places like the Lowther Estate in the Lake District.”
As environmental consultants, Delta-Simons understands its role and responsibility to lead by example. As such, we are committed to playing our part to not only reduce our direct carbon emissions, but to use our skills and expertise to support others to do the same. To reduce our impact, we have:
● Retrofitted efficient LED lighting in our offices.
● Begun the transition towards a hybrid/fully electric vehicle fleet.
● Sourced 100% renewable energy for all offices where we have energy bill responsibility.
● Streamlined our business functions to reduce resource consumption and travel.
● Committed to a Science-Based Target to reduce our emissions in line with the Paris Agreement.
● Become a ‘Beyond Net-Zero’ company, offsetting our annual emissions by 150% to ensure we have a net positive impact on the environment.
As part of a new group, Lucion Services and Delta-Simons are committed to embedding ESG in everything we do as a business. Led by the ESG principles, the combined Lucion group is passionate about making a difference among clients, employees, investors, regulators and corporations, as we adapt to the ever-changing business environment impacted by the effects of climate change.